DJ Carl Hamm's Blog *~*~*~*~*~

~*~ LISTEN to “If Music Could Talk” Sundays 7-9pm EST on WRIR 97.3LPFM online or on your radio ~*~
~*~SUBSCRIBE ON ITUNES~*~
~*~Podcasts~*~
http://carlhamm.net

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Happy 80th Birthday Lata Mangeshkar ! (Sep 28)

Tune in this evening to "If Music Could Talk" on 97.3FM www.wrir.org for a special set of beautiful songs sung by Lata-ji from various film soundtracks.. (and thanks to Richard from Dances on the Footpath for reminding me!!)



" Bollywood wishes melody queen on 80th birthday (Sep 28 is Lata Mangeshkar's birthday)"

(Article source: IANS (Indian Asian News Service - also found here )

"Eight decades and 30,000 songs later her voice continues to inspire a nation. As Lata Mangeshkar turns 80 on Monday, Sep 28, everyone in Bollywood queued up to wish her.

The Bharat Ratna awardee, who has lent her voice to songs in over 20 Indian languages, is known for her quest for perfection and undying spirit.


From light classical music to film songs and from ghazals to bhajans and pop, she has sung a variety of numbers. Having worked with almost all top music composers and singers in the industry, Lata has also featured in the Guinness Book of Records from 1974 to 1991 for having made the most recordings in the world.


IANS spoke to members of Bollywood, who wished the queen of melody and prayed for her long and healthy life.


Yash Chopra: On the occasion of her 80th birthday, I would like to wish Lataji, who has had a long-lasting relationship with Yash Raj Films, happiness, happiness and more happiness with a sincere prayer that she remain forever young.


Karisma Kapoor: I would like to wish Lataji a very happy birthday. The songs that she has sung for my grandfather don't need any explanations. I just want to ask her: how does she still sing so melodiously even at this age?


Prasoon Joshi: My best wishes to Lataji on her birthday. I feel so fortunate that my entry in Bollywood was marked by a song sung by her. I wrote my first song for her, which was the title track of 'Lajja'. It was totally a dream come true. Then my luck again favoured me when I wrote 'Luka chhupi' for her in the film 'Rang De Basanti'. I feel extremely humbled to write songs for someone as great as her.


Kunal Kohli: What can one say about a living legend like Lataji and who am I to say something? I don't think a word has been created to describe her and her contribution to Hindi film music. My best wishes to her for a long and healthy life.


Mohit Chauhan: I give my heartiest congratulations to the melody queen. I wish more and more years added to her life. Since childhood I have been listening to her songs and she is still my favourite singer.


Sunidhi Chauhan: Words can't express what I feel about her. I only wish that she lives for ever and ever.


Kailash Kher: She is a goddess in human form. Whatever she has achieved till now and the way she sings even till today is just miraculous. A normal person can't do that. I won't call her just a singer; she is music to me. She is a blessing to the nation and all Indians should hope and pray for her long life and good health for many years to come. I wish her a long and healthy life.


Manoj Bajpayee: May she live and sing for another 1,000 years. I doubt we will ever have another Lataji. Her voice is a miracle of god. A very happy birthday to her.


Sukhwinder Singh: Lataji's is the voice of the millennium. She is truly an international artist and one of her own kind. For her birthday I just want to say that I hope she lives for 1,000 years.


Anand Raj Anand: A very happy birthday to a living legend - Lataji
."



There's also a wonderful new book about Lata Mangeshkar which is in essence, an Autobiography, that is set to be released this week which i discovered on this site Lata Mangeshkar...In Her Own Voice "Conversations with Nasreen Munni Kabir"...

And here's the website of Niyogi Books where you can order it!

here's a great bio page with some great info about Lata's early years..

click here for last year's birthday blog post-- featuring some great youtube clips!

here's one of my favorites from Satyam Shivam Sundaram, sung by Lata


Bahon Mein Chale Aao - film: Anamika


CLICK HERE TO WATCH A BEAUTIFUL SONG COMPOSED BY MADAN MOHAN - Lag Ja Gale - Lata Mangeshkar

...and here's a charming and good humored classic from Chori Chori - Sawan Lakh Ki Lottery



(watch the complete film - Chori Chori - with subtitles - starring Raj Kapoor and Nargis - here )

1 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger DJ Carl Hamm said...

thanks!!! great blog! can't wait to read more of your posts!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 photo DEVI_SARASVATI_by_VISHNU108.gif