DJ Carl Hamm's Blog *~*~*~*~*~

~*~ LISTEN to “If Music Could Talk” Sundays 7-9pm EST on WRIR 97.3LPFM online or on your radio ~*~
~*~SUBSCRIBE ON ITUNES~*~
~*~Podcasts~*~
http://carlhamm.net

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

repost: OLD 8mm Reel from a harbor in Hong Kong



This is one of my favorite film reels from a weird little phase i went through -buying old film reels and converting them to digital format. I briefly "froze" odd little details (you can see a ship's name, the Sony and Canon factories, and the harbor workers faces as they concentrate on their tasks ) Often I pumped up the saturation where it seemed appropriate and tasteful, and also added musical soundtracks - which I guess brings me the most inspiration. Music really seems to make these random travel films from unknown people take on a new life. There are many others like this on my youtube channel (Tunisia, India, Romania) .. but this one has received alot of comments - especially regarding the first song - so I am posting the album cover for everyone to see here. The band is the legendary Maurice Patton and the Melodians (of Singapore, not Hong Kong). This album was recorded at Singapore's famed Kinetex studios (Listed as Pearl, Dean, and Kinetex) and "Issued by Happy Records Company". The singer is unknown to me, but she is featured on every track. If anyone has any idea who this singer is, please feel free to leave a comment! (Update: the Singer's name is Patrina - thanks to Joseph Pereira, world renowned expert and author of several books and many articles on the Singapore 60s music scene, for that information. He also shared this sad information with me when I asked whether Maurice Patton was still alive: "Maurice was electrocuted while playing onstage and died." That's a really tragic end for such an amazing band leader! I have a 45 recorded much later in Maurice Patton's career that was sold to tourists on a cruise ship that his band had taken residency on. I will post that cover soon too.)


the lyrics to the first song in the film clip are below

the LP label

the band, and the singer


(sorry for the grainy photos.. they dont usually look this bad!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 photo DEVI_SARASVATI_by_VISHNU108.gif